Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gratitude

"Bosom Bartletts" by me
Media: Shellac, encaustic, india ink
My good friend's iTunes playlist has a song named "Everybody is free to wear sunscreen" which asserts: "Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth."  Ouch, that's weighty and maybe coming from one inured to disappointing counsel.  Even so, the message is that I should be careful whose advice I buy or take for free.  In a society that puts so much emphasis and money on personal insight and self awareness, are we not missing the levity of life? (Oh wait, I was talking to myself ;-). Tee hee.)  I am emotionally tired of having to be cognisant of my motivation, shadow, projection, transference, blah blah blah.  It is liberating to just BE and not have to cogitate on every thought, word, and deed.  This cavalier freedom does come with responsibility including owning any wrongs, pulling a foot and sometimes a leg out of my mouth, and making amends.  Okay, maybe it's not so liberating after all having to worry about damage control and cleaning up the shit after it hits the fan.  And why am I taking cheap recycled nostalgia from some dude anyway?

Good friends are hard to come by and those who have our best interest at heart is even tougher to find.  As genuinely caring as we intend to be, our advice is always colored by past experiences, prejudices, and fears; it is hard to be logical and completely objective especially when emotions are entrenched.   It takes that rare bird who can step outside their own cage and pain and be part of yours.  At a snail's pace I'm recognizing I have such an ally in my corner.   I am richly blessed. :'-)

1 comment:

  1. Great blog...so thoughtful and thought provoking. I look forward to following it. It was great to see you in SF and glad that we'll see you again soon. On the topic of advice, I think it's hard to improve on Wilde's words: "I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself."

    Ciao...Bobby

    ReplyDelete