Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Living bachelorette

How does one find oneself "dating" multiple guys at the same time?  I've always wondered how wo/men juggle it and now I know. You just do.   Maybe this is what it is like to be a polygamist; and I can see its benefits albeit challenges. A guy for my sensual side of food and sex. Another for solid friendship and dependability.  Yet another that I can give to, satisfying my need for a sense of contribution.   I suppose no relationship can satisfy ALL our needs and it is unrealistic to expect or place such a demand.  There is so much importance in strong friendships and family.

I recently had dinner at Stumbling Goat Bistro (more comments on the food later.)  I was asked the top five important things I want in a relationship.  After a long ponder of oh, thirty seconds, and in between bites or succulent prime rib, I came up with the following: trust, honesty, respect, communication, openness.  Not all or none trust but there are certain things I want to be able to trust; for example, to know that to the best of his ability, he has my best interest in mind.  It strikes me as so ironic that we all want to be known and accepted and at the same time we spend much energy on remaining hidden for fear of rejection.  So then maybe the most secure way to be okay with any rejection is to fully love ourselves. The Sufi wisdom rings true - "We betray ourselves when we yearn to find a love outside."  Maybe that's why some of us have ersatz relationships with dogs or spend our energy in sensory concretes like food.

Grilled ribeye with asparagus, baby potatoes and romesco
Speaking of food.  Dinner was simple and satisfying.  Wonderful salad of arugula, speck, and juicy peaches drizzled in aged balsamic vinegar and subtly floral Spanish virgin olive oil.  Prime rib with roasted asparagus topped with a mildly spicy Romanesco sauce and baby potatoes.   My favorite was the ending, an apricot tarte tatin with taragon ice cream.  What an interesting marriage of apricot's tartness and anise laced floral accent of the tarragon.  Oooo  - this just may make a wonderful sorbet.  I think I will have to put my new ice cream maker to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment